Latest ‘insider’ attack also left one soldier wounded, according to senior official in Kandahar
An Afghan soldier was responsible for the killing of two American troops a day earlier, an official told AFP on Tuesday, in what appears to be the latest example of an insider attack.
The U.S. military on Monday said two of its troops had been killed in action in Afghanistan, but did not provide any additional details, pending notification of next of kin. Mohammad Qasam, a deputy police chief in Kandahar province in southern Afghanistan, said the attack took place at an Afghan army base during a visit by U.S. forces.
“Initial information was two U.S. forces have been killed and one more wounded,” Qasam said. U.S. Forces-Afghanistan declined to comment.
In a statement to AFP, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said an Afghan soldier, not an infiltrator, had killed the two. “A patriotic Afghan soldier opened fire on them and killed them” in the attack in Kandahar, Mujahid said.
Bahir Ahmadi, the Kandahar governor’s spokesman, also said the incident occurred at an Afghan army base.
On July 17, an Afghan army soldier shot and killed an influential Afghan army colonel while he was conducting a security assessment in Ghazni province. The Taliban claimed responsibility for that killing.
Insider attacks, sometimes referred to as “green on green,” are a constant threat in Afghanistan for international and Afghan forces alike.